academics, as seen from vegreville. it can be cold here. and it is flat.

Email me

Previous Posts Site Feed

Links

What the hell have I been doing this (academic) year?

  • Manuscripts accepted: 2
  • Manuscripts under review: 1
  • Revise and resubmits to do: 3
  • Working papers: 3
  • New projects: 2
  • Conference presentations: 2
  • Seminars given: 1
  • PhD students in progress: 5
  • PhD students completed: 0
  • Other students supervised: 2
  • Courses taught: 0
  • Courses scheduled: 4
  • Referee reports to write: 2
  • Referee reports completed: 17
  • Committees: 3
  • Angry co-authors: 0
  • Angry students: ?

powered by Blogger

designed by mela and modified by vegreville


Creative Commons License
The contents of this web site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Literature review?

Why do so many people write literature reviews with laundry lists of tangentially related papers? When I read a paper, no sentence annoys me more than:
‘AA(2004), BB(1990), and ZZ(2005) all study a related topic.’
Edit that crap out, or actually say something real about the work and how it relates to yours.

I read that sentence in about half the papers I review.

Technorati Tags: , ,


link | posted by vegreville at 2:16 PM |


3 Comments:

Blogger mungowits commented at 9:58 AM~  

dear V:

I can tell the reason, I'm afraid.

Trying to do two things.
1. Influence editor of journal to send the paper to one of those people cited.
2. Influence one of those people cited (after #1 is successful) to LIKE the paper. ("Sure, it sucks, but it CITES me, so how bad can it really be?")

Not going to change, I expect. As editor (of Public Choice ), I sometimes ask authors to cut some, after the paper is accepted, but of course by then it has accomplished its object of getting the piece through the referee process.

Mike

Blogger vegreville commented at 12:01 PM~  

I guess I should have added that the tangential literature cite:

‘AA(2004), BB(2004), and Vegreville(2001) work on similar topics.’

is a good one. :)

Especially since cite counts are used as a way to measure influence.

But when I read papers long after they are in print, I notice that the irrelevant cites simply slow me down and annoy me. Cutting after refereeing would work. I have started to do that myself on later rounds.

Blogger martha commented at 12:44 AM~  

I am really enjoying your blog, it has provided me an immense information I was searching for months. I am working on my literature review and it seems that with your blog's help,I will come up wiht a perfect review.Regards.

Want to Post a Comment?