academics, as seen from vegreville. it can be cold here. and it is flat.

Email me

Previous Posts Site Feed

Links

What the hell have I been doing this (academic) year?

  • Manuscripts accepted: 2
  • Manuscripts under review: 1
  • Revise and resubmits to do: 3
  • Working papers: 3
  • New projects: 2
  • Conference presentations: 2
  • Seminars given: 1
  • PhD students in progress: 5
  • PhD students completed: 0
  • Other students supervised: 2
  • Courses taught: 0
  • Courses scheduled: 4
  • Referee reports to write: 2
  • Referee reports completed: 17
  • Committees: 3
  • Angry co-authors: 0
  • Angry students: ?

powered by Blogger

designed by mela and modified by vegreville


Creative Commons License
The contents of this web site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A shallow insight

Even since I have put less on my slides, students pay more attention to me. You would think that would be better. Not always. Now I cannot just bullshit and be sure that they have a good record to use for solving problems. I need to engage them all.

Still need to work on handouts, I guess. Even thought the students have a perfectly good textbook that they don't read.

I still notice lots of great teachers have terrible slides. Maybe slides are not all that important.

Today I gave a lecture to 60 people in class. Three students were passing notes, and I finally had to ask them to stop. It was like a flashback to middle school, where I never got any notes, only watched everyone else pass them. Boo f*ck1ng hoo.

My faith was restored when good students asked quite perceptive questions in class. F*ck1ng A. Teach smart students interesting stuff, and they will get it. Don't baby them.


link | posted by vegreville at 8:43 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?