academics, as seen from vegreville. it can be cold here. and it is flat.

Email me

Previous Posts Site Feed

Links

What the hell have I been doing this (academic) year?

  • Manuscripts accepted: 2
  • Manuscripts under review: 1
  • Revise and resubmits to do: 3
  • Working papers: 3
  • New projects: 2
  • Conference presentations: 2
  • Seminars given: 1
  • PhD students in progress: 5
  • PhD students completed: 0
  • Other students supervised: 2
  • Courses taught: 0
  • Courses scheduled: 4
  • Referee reports to write: 2
  • Referee reports completed: 17
  • Committees: 3
  • Angry co-authors: 0
  • Angry students: ?

powered by Blogger

designed by mela and modified by vegreville


Creative Commons License
The contents of this web site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

random gibberish today

  • A problem I have with blackboard/online grade entering systems is that the students see the grades before they get the exam back--leading to extra emails.
  • I read about the 'grandmother died' excuses on inside higher ed. I have had my share; I do wonder if journal editors get similar excuses for late reports?
  • My personal learning style is different than about 90% of the students. If I try to teach the way I would like to be taught, problems ensue.
  • The less complicated things are, the more students seem to learn in class. But if I make things seem too simple, the students don't work by themselves, and then don't learn the material deeply.
  • Over and out. Too nice a day to be online.
  • Addendum: forgot to add. I had to get files from an old XP computer yesterday, and I had lost my password (stupid, I know.) Googling 'lost XP password' let me change the password in about an hour. I have no technology skills to speak of. But now, I know how easy XP is to crack (I already knew it about some Linux distributions.) An eye-opener.


link | posted by vegreville at 12:50 PM |


1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Lawrence commented at 6:22 PM~  

Re: Blackboard and grades; you can enter the grades but have them hidden until you hand back the exams. Unfortunately, unlike other content, there's no way (that I've found, at least) to unhide it automatically at a specific time.

Want to Post a Comment?