academics, as seen from vegreville. it can be cold here. and it is flat.

Email me

Previous Posts Site Feed

Links

What the hell have I been doing this (academic) year?

  • Manuscripts accepted: 2
  • Manuscripts under review: 1
  • Revise and resubmits to do: 3
  • Working papers: 3
  • New projects: 2
  • Conference presentations: 2
  • Seminars given: 1
  • PhD students in progress: 5
  • PhD students completed: 0
  • Other students supervised: 2
  • Courses taught: 0
  • Courses scheduled: 4
  • Referee reports to write: 2
  • Referee reports completed: 17
  • Committees: 3
  • Angry co-authors: 0
  • Angry students: ?

powered by Blogger

designed by mela and modified by vegreville


Creative Commons License
The contents of this web site are licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

vegreville shrugged

I found this out today (I won't reveal my answers to the quiz, either)



take the WHAT BAD BOOK ARE YOU test.

and go to mewing.net. not as good as reading a good book, but way better than a bad one.



I was always under the impression that Atlas Shrugged was an important book. I haven't read it, but the quiz has made me curious. Perhaps it is my spring break reading.

I am thinking even more about tenure. One pro-tenure argument that I believe is the argument that tenured people are more inclined to be open to new, challenging ideas from new people because tenure reduces the cost of letting the new ideas in.

The flip side is that I wonder how tenure effects the college's ability to retrain faculty in new techniques. In my field, there have been important intellectual revolutions over the last 20-30 years. Some faculty did not necessarily have the technical skills or incentives to learn those techniques. But they were tenured---so some schools fell behind in having people who could teach the new techniques to students, even as the new techniques become important That is a cost of the tenure system, no?

Maybe it is an argument about who should be tenured, too.


link | posted by vegreville at 11:04 PM |


0 Comments:

Want to Post a Comment?